Friday, December 16, 2005

 

More 5334 Talk

I have been reviewing my old book circle material. I feel rusty, so it seems must a good time to review. I am backing off of trying to get to some specific completion point with TCT, too. It just was extra pressure I don't need.

-=-=-=-=-

When it comes to real chess, I am still pretty clueless. You know, the exclamation mark moves, like those you find in CT-Art. I sometimes refer to this as the other game of chess.

When I got into regular reading of 5334 before the TCT circles, I was aware of the clear demarcation between the doable natural mates and endgames verses the non-doable other game of chess composed problems and combinations. Urp. I clearly needed to improve.


I figured that I was weak in the middlegame, so why not attack the combination section? Unfortunately that section of the book equally abstract as the rest of it, with no text or even x capture indications. Simply visualizing most of the continuations was so hard I had no free brain cells to then understand it, that is unless it was one of those few "mate in 2" ones. Still, I wanted to get into sacrifices, which I found to be one of the most intriguing part of chess, so I started wading through it. I now think I have grossly underestimated how difficult it would be to learn to regularly create winning sacrifice threats.

Anyway, I was and still am convinced that if you never even look at these weird moves, your likely to lose to them OTB. I made a note of those combinations that were the easiest to understand, given plenty of time that is. If you find the combination section daunting in 5334, you might try these first.

Medium: 4793, 4809, 4812, 4831, 4851
All involve attacks on either the f2 or f7 pawn.

Harder: 4899, 4901, 4904, 4954, 4957
All involve attacks on either the g2 or g7 pawn.

They have a known thematic move to be played in the diagram, so calculating is actually simpler than in real life. Some are forced mate, others are simply getting a winning advantage. They all look like fairly weird moves but with work, sometimes alot of work, they make sense.

-=-=-=-=-

TCT Results

Circle 1Circle 2Circle 3Circle 4
Step 197%99%99%100%r
Step 293%96%95%97%
Step 393%97%97%96%
Step 480%86%90%92%
Step 574%

77%

83%??%


Comments:
Hey Spill,

1) Chernev's 'Logical Chess Move by Move'
2) Reuben Fine's 'Art of the MiddleGame'.
3) Max Euwe's 'Chess Master vs. Amateur'
4) Neil McDonald's 'Chess : Art of Logical Thinking'

All of these books deal with the issue in plain ENGLISH of how to take advantage of an opponent's bad strategy to effect killer combinations.

This is a little different from a tactical exercise book or software program ( like CT ART ), where you already know there is a killer combination- you just have to find it.

By contrast, Jeremy Silman's equally good 'Amateur's Mind' focuses on the equally important issue of how to take advantage of an opponent's bad strategy to beat him with BETTER strategy.

Bottom line- ALL of these types of training have their uses!
 
I wish 5334 were more like the Bobby Fischer book, with problems on one page and solutions on the next page. One of my pet peeves is turning to the back of chess books for solutions!

I would even buy them if they were split up into multiple paperback volumes.
 
I have only read the first of those and it would probably do me much good to look into those others. Other probably hopeful books on my list include works a Seirawan, Weermantary, Alburt, Soltis, and others. I haven't even read "Reassess Your Chess" which many have recommended in spite of the author ;-).

My problem is time...maybe after completing these circles it won't be difficult to get in non-tactic study.
 
Blue Devil - yes, it's hard to find talky training stuff just at your level. I think you might need to look into those newer DVD type training programs.
 
I don't want talky, I just hate turning to the back of the book!
 
I have already Cheap wow goldbeen going over our aged ebook circle substance. I'm rusty, in order that it looks ought to a good time to evaluate. We are backing away from looking to get into a distinct conclusion stage together with TCT, far too. It simply had been Buy rs goldadditional pressure I do not require.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?