Saturday, October 15, 2005

 

Reassessment

I got focused and played some plausible blitz, and got my rating up to 1300. I see how the first time I got to 1300+ it was due to a winning streak against tired, blundering opponents, many of whom might typically beat me more if we played a series of games. I have come to the conclusion that the ICC chess club's rating system produces somewhat volatile numbers. Statistically it's likely streaks of wins / losses will change it so much in the short run that it is not a much of an improvement gauge.

Otherwise I have been busy, so busy in fact that I haven't gotten in even one serious game in two weeks. I got a Mephisto travel chess computer to remedy this, and am now playing a fraction of a game several days a week. I have yet to win against it at beginner "6", which is like 1600. It really makes me appreciate analysis capable programs like Fritz and Chessmaster, as with Mephisto a post-mortem is quite cumbersome.

Still getting in 25-30 minutes of TCT daily of course.

-=-=-=-=-

TCT Results

Circle 1Circle 2Circle 3
Step 197%99%99%
Step 293%96%95%
Step 393%97%97%
Step 480%86%90%
Step 574%

77%

89%*


Comments:
Noticed that you are one of the new registrants on the chess tactics server. Welcome to the jungle! It was not my intention to end up using this thing that much, but I am addicted. Try and keep it in moderation. Incidentally, I think you might find that it improves your blitz play because of the time constraint placed on the problems. It forces you to seek patterns based on what pieces are on the board.
 
I decided to check it out, and I agree that it encourages some sort of obsession-compulsive tactics disorder ;-). Useful if you have just a few minutes free, though.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?